• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Late night food cravings

yucatanboy2

Bluelighter
Hi all,

I find myself often craving food late at night, even when I've had large meals of good quality during the day. I know that eating right before going to sleep isn't gonna help my efforts to get fitter. What do you do/would you do in this situation?

Perhaps I am not one to speak, since I still give into the cravings, but try to make a plan out of it. Give yourself one day a week where you eat something (albeit, not the whole cupboard) as a late night snack. For the rest of the days, work on your self will and your desire to become fit. Also, it helps to not have things that are extremely unhealthy in your presence (this doesn't work if you still live at home).

^ yeah, I've been trying to keep my kitchen relatively healthy. One idea I had was to make a salad (lettuce, tomatoes, feta, olive oil and balsamic vinegar) in a tupperwear and keep it in the fridge, and when I got hungry at night I could eat that, which would probably be better than a bunch of processed carbs, and with the oil and feta, there'd be some fat in there that might sate my hunger. I'm trying to keep the super-carby snacks I love to devour out of my kitchen (corn chips, cheeze-its, etc).

Another idea I had was to brew mint tea or something similar (non-caffeinated and non-caloric) and just drink that if I feel hungry and see if that helps.

You could try a snack with a slow-digesting protein like casein (eg cottage cheese on rye toast) just before you go to sleep? I would avoid a lot of carbs in the evening though.

I am a big fan of late night snacks but if I need to lose a few pounds then tend to drink water which makes me feel bagged up slightly and lose the hunger as much.
you could always try chewing fennel seeds been long used to stave off hunger for long marches in Roman times, and for cultures who fast help see them through.

^ This is a good idea. Water is a great way to 1) satiate your hunger (only if you drink maybe 16 oz), 2) hydrate yourself during this kind of state and 3) get yourself into the right kind of habits before bed.

Yesterday night I sat bolt upright in bed after trying to get to sleep for a bit. Ran straight downstairs, made and consumed a tuna and salad cream sandwich in less than 5 minutes then went back to sleep.

I have never experienced anything quite like it, the oddest part to me is I rarely eat tuna sandwiches and dont usually think to make them.

TUNA!!!! Om Nom Nom!! ZZZZzzzzzzzzz

^ I'm not sure that's what we're trying to imply with this thread. :p

Of course, your body could have been telling you that you need protein, hence the tuna.

I usually drink tea when I get hungry at night. Mint is good, or even chamomile, since it makes me fall asleep almost instantly.

^ mint for making you feel sleepy, must admit never heard anyone say that before. chamomile yes works with a lot of people another one is using lavender on the pillow.
as for the tuna, could be your body is saying it needs zinc, you got a cold or feel run down recently Xtc?

I smoke weed every night so I eat at night after I have eaten well the entire day.
I go for it. I don't keep a lot of junk food in the house. I eat high fiber cereal, spicy nuts, or a grilled chicken breast to satiate my munchies. Sometime all 3. Organic chocolate milk does the trick too.
If I didn't eat beyond what I need I would be leaner but I am happy.

If I drink too much water at night the need to urinate disrupts my sleep cycle.

Eating when stoned always made me feel less stoned. Try smoking a little more weed instead of eating? :)

As for late night eating, i eat lettuce at a push these days and eat slowly

I don't think there's anything wrong with eating late at night as long as it isn't too much... How else do you deal with hunger other than eating?!

If I eat too much, I get this horrible "grumbly" feeling in my stomach in the morning. Speaking of this, can someone explain why it happens?

^That's probably your stomach letting you know not to eat so much at night. You've already mentioned that if it's too much, there are consequences.

In all honesty, it's probably your stomach starting up again. I mean, when we sleep, our bodies tend to slow down, as well, meaning full digestion starts up again in the morning. And when food has been sitting for a while, it is a little weird digesting the next day.

Pegasus Eating before sleeping can cause problems in the stomach digestion. This is exhibited by regurgitation of the stomach acids as your body slows down when sleeping so digestion takes longer.
it is recommended you do not eat for 2 hours before going to bed. easier said than done :)

I am a big fan of late night snacks but if I need to lose a few pounds then tend to drink water which makes me feel bagged up slightly and lose the hunger as much.

Ur right, water also helps speed up your metabolism. If your trying to lose weight it's a good idea to drink 8 oz of water before a meal, it fills you up and and allows you to digest the meal faster.

Last edited: